Thursday, February 24, 2011

Colour and Fauvism

Thanks to ABC2 I have been captivated by their TV program Forger's Masterclass on Sunday nights.
One of the recent shows was on Andre Derain, a fauvist painter of the early 1900's. From Wikipedia:

Fauvism is the style of les Fauves (French for "the wild beasts"), a short-lived and loose group of early twentieth-century Modern artists whose works emphasized painterly qualities and strong colour over the representational or realistic values retained by Impressionism. While Fauvism as a style began around 1900 and continued beyond 1910, the movement as such lasted only a few years, 1904–1908, and had three exhibitions.[1][2] The leaders of the movement were Henri Matisse and AndrĂ© Derain.[1]

So here is my version, in my own simplistic style and with my own choice of colours - I like 'em bright!!  The painting is called "Cityscape - Santiago, Chile" and is taken from memory and from photos.  The old church, the railing. and the distinctive building on the right are taken from one of Tom's photos of Santiago. I love the way the building on the right glows - one of those things that just happens when I painted over the dark red background!


Cityscape - Santiago, Chile


No comments:

Post a Comment