Monday, March 7, 2011

My effort at painting in the impressionist style


Garden at Leneva
 Thanks to ABC2's Forger's Masterclass again, some friends and I decided that we too needed to try our hand at a Monet, painting in the impressionist style.  So we arranged a day in the country, at sister-in-law Barb's place at Leneva, and set up our easels in her lovely olde worlde garden.  Barb had mowed the lawn for us, and there were heaps of things flowering, including lots of roses and the oleanders you can see in the middle ground. The day was lovely and cool, and just perfect for painting out of doors.  We had a lovely day, and we promised ourselves that we needed to do it all again soon.

 So here is my effort in the Monet style - that is, lots of daubs of colour to create an illusion of light.  In this case, I was surprised to find that by following Monet's technique, I was able to use colour to reflect the dappled morning light that shone through at about 9.30am when we started painting.  By 4.00pm, the light had completely changed, but thankfully the morning light effect had already been captured. I'm not sure if Monet would have used the tree trunks to frame his painting, but I just liked the look of it.

1 comment:

  1. Been following your work Barb and showing them to your Mum from time to time. I really love this latest one. Keep up the wonderful work. :D Ros

    ReplyDelete