Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Touch Of Paris


Le Consulat - a rainy night

Every now and then I want to paint something real, and in this case I had a lovely photo of Paris at night.  I am a little hesitant at reproducing what is best shown in a photo - I am not a camera.  So I have taken a little liberty with the photo and added my own touches, as well as removed a few.  The Le Consulat restaurant is located in Mont Martre, which is a popular tourist destination in Paris with lots of little back streets and restaurants and cafes.  I have included below a photo of it during the day - pretty dingy I would have to say.

The photo I used for this painting was a very bright and vibrant picture, but I wanted to show dark, wet and lonely.  So with a little manipulation, and use of a very french blue colour throughout, I think I have achieved that.  The dome of Sacre Coeur looms in the background like a ghost hovering in the foggy clouds.

A photo of Le Consulat by day - courtesy of the internet.


No comments:

Post a Comment