Thursday, November 10, 2011

"Lost Souls"


Lost Souls 1 of 2

These two paintings are quite different to my normal work.  The title "Lost Souls" reflects my thoughts as I painted these.  In my mind, the blackened gum leaves floating over the red burned landscape, reflect on lost souls and life as a result of the huge bushfires that still loom large in our memories.  For our family, our memories go back to 2003 and the bushfires that severely burned around our home in the Mitta Valley, and destroyed parts of our local community.  The more recent bushfires of 2010 with their huge loss of life also loom large in my mind, and will never be forgotten.

The unspoiled flowers reflect the hope of a new life, the ability of the landscape to regenerate, and for people to adapt to their new circumstances.

Hope you too can understand the depth I felt when painting these two paintings.  It has been very difficult for me to finish them.



Lost Souls 2 of 2




No comments:

Post a Comment