Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My first canvasses


Ghost gums - bushfire - city

So then I tried working on canvasses.  They had a sale at the local thrift shop, and so I bought a few to try out.  Both are my own, with some inspiration from other sources!!

The caption on this painting is fairly self explanatory.  It is a mixed media, in acrylic and collage.












I have been asked to explain the second painting below of the Tanzanian fish market a little.  This painting in acrylics  originates from an article in National Geographic, which explored the exploitation of Africa's resources.  Only the carcasses of Nile Perch are affordable sources of protein for some Tanzanians living around Lake Victoria.  Perch fillets are stripped and shipped to mainly Europe.  I have painted the auction of a fish carcass, concentrating on the woman in the foreground who appears totally focussed on buying the fish. 

Fish Market - Tanzania


No comments:

Post a Comment