Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My First Portrait

Given that I am trying a little bit of everything, I thought it was time to try doing a portrait.  This one is titled "The Irish Fiddler" and is from a photo in the Age of Irish fiddler Colm Mac Con Iomaire.  I had been asked by a friend to paint a violin for her, as she has a passion for them, and so when I saw this photo I just had to have a go.  I know it's a fiddle not a violin, but I thought it might be close enough!!  Naturally, I have stylized the painting to my own liking, with some colours of Ireland in the background, and some collage in the foreground about Colm and his music.  I am not sure that Colm really looks like my painting, but he definitely has pale skin and red hair, which I was able to reproduce.  Not sure about the features though!! I think the best part is the fiddle.  Still, it encourages me for the future.

The Irish Fiddler
Here is the original photo, for your interest.


Original in The Age
 

No comments:

Post a Comment