Sunday, October 23, 2011

Waterfall Carnarvon Gorge

One of the places we loved visiting during our recent trip to Queensland was Carvarvon Gorge National Park.  The gorge features a number of different walks, and one of  the walks went to an extremely lovely spot called Moss Gardens.  The area was very green and lush, and had a lot of moss and a small waterfall and pool.  I took a photo of the waterfall thinking that it might make something good to paint, and I have included one of the photos for interest.  I have made two paintings of the waterfall - the first being in its original greens and with moss and ferns.  I was very disappointed with this first painting, because it had no zing and was pretty boring.  So I decided to have another go. 

Anybody who has been to Carvarvon Gorge will quickly say that the colours in my second painting are nothing like the gorge, and they are quite right.  The rock colour in the gorge is quite whitish brown, and very washed out looking.  The original photo shows the rock as being brownish white with  touches of red oxide in the cracks, so I decided to exaggerate the red, and thereby give the painting a little lift.  I am told by my husband that it makes it too unreal!!  Too bad because I quite like it.  After changing the painting to reds, I just couldn't leave the moss there anymore, as it looked wrong, so hence the changes.


Photograph - Moss Gardens Carnarvon Gorge
Carnarvon Gorge 1

Carnarvon Gorge 2

No comments:

Post a Comment